Historic Information

Chase Farm (1860)
Thomas Arnold originally purchased the land at Chase Farm in 1661. In the late 1800's, the Chase Family started a dairy farm on the land, and delivered milk door to door until 1965. This was one of the last working farms in Lincoln, purchased by the Town and preserved for its historical value and open space. The Butterfly Gardens, which are maintained by volunteers, serves as a focal point to this scenic landscape.


Hannaway Blacksmith Shop (1850)
Small shops like the Hannaway Blacksmith Shop were once commonplace here in Lincoln, RI. Built in 1850 by William Hannaway, this one-story building was donated to the town, moved across the street to Chase farm, and restored.
669 Great Road
Lincoln, RI  02865
(401) 726-0597
Hours: Demonstrations Saturday mornings, 9am-1pm


Moffett Mill (1812)
The newly renovated Moffett Mill was a two-story building is believed to be the first machine shop constructed in Rhode Island. Wagons, wheels, and shoelaces are just some of the products that were produced here. Resting along the Moshassuck River, on historic Great Road, this old mill now serves as a tourist attraction.


Pullen's Corner School (1850)
Better known as the "Hot Potato School", this one-room schoolhouse housed students in eight different grades. The teacher, learning the children did not have hot lunches, donated a stove and used donated potatoes to feed the kids. The school closed in 1922.


Valentine Whitman Jr. House (1694)
Whitman's home is one of a few surviving "stone-end" houses built in the 17th century. Whitman was a friend of Roger Williams, founder of Rhode Island. The first town meeting of old Smithfield, which included Lincoln, was held in this house in 1730.
1147 Great Road
Lincoln, RI  02865
(401) 334-2182
Hours:  Open second Saturday of each month, 1-4pm


Arnold Bakery (1874)
Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Arnold who resided in the Cumberland section of Lonsdale opened the original bakery in 1874. The one story, one room bakery had one oven and employed only eight people. The bakery became so successful, over 150 people were employed. Restored by the Blackstone Valley Historical Society, this historical property now rests at Northgate.


Northgate
Originally built as a residence, Northgate served as a tollgate house on the Louisquisset Turnpike. The building is now currently home to the Blackstone Valley Historical Society.


Hearthside House (1810)
Stephen Hopkins Smith built this gorgeous two-story home in 1810. Legend has it that he built the house to impress a young lady with winnings from a Louisiana State Lottery. The young lady commented that she did not know why anyone would want to live in the wilderness. As a result of her rejection, he never married. The town now owns the site, and Hearthside has become the backdrop to many public and private social events.
677 Great Road
Lincoln, RI  02865
(401) 726-0597
www.hearthsidehouse.org
Hours:  Open second Saturday afternoon of each month


Quaker Meeting House (1704)
Built in 1704, it served as the first house of worship here in Lincoln. Outside of the Quaker Meeting House, on historical Great Road, there is still the old mounting stone used to help people to get into their carriages. Weekly services are still held to this day.
374 Great Road
Lincoln, RI  02865
(401) 724-7249
Hours:  Open third Saturday afternoon of each month


Eleazer Arnold House
In 1693, Eleazer Arnold, a major landowner, built his house along Great Road, one of the earliest roads in the colonies. Two stories high, with a pilastered chimney, the home so dominated the modest dwellings of nearby farmers that it earned the title “Eleazer’s Splendid Mansion.” With its massive chimney end wall, the house is a rare survivor of a once-common Rhode Island building type known as a stone-ender. The structure has sustained many alterations over the centuries. Visitors find evidence of seventeenth-century construction methods, eighteenth-century additions, nineteenth century graffiti, and the twentieth-century approach to preservation that restored the house to its present appearance.

487 Great Road
Lincoln, RI  02865
Phone: (401) 728-9696

Email: arnoldhouse@historicnewengland.org

Hours:
Open Saturday – Sunday, year round
11:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. 
Tours on the hour. Last tour at 4:00 p.m. 
Closed most major holidays.

Admission
$5 adults
$4 seniors
$2.50 students
Free for Historic New England members and Lincoln residents. 

Historic New England website: www.historicnewengland.org
Arnold House information link on website:  http://www.historicnewengland.org/historic-properties/homes/arnold-house-1


Manville Music Hall (1895)
Built by Ephrem B. Mandeville, and driven by his passion for music, he formed "The Manville Brass Band." The band grew in popularity and the Music Hall became their stage and practice area. After the band stopped touring, the Music Hall was used as a social function center, and even a jail.


Albion Traffic Signal (1932)
Found at the intersection of School Street and Main Street in Albion, the Albion traffic signal sits above the old water well used by all residents of Albion Village.